Craving a little something to nibble on while you sip on iced tea or coffee? I got just the thing to satisfy!
Here’s a quick and easy recipe to share with your family, friends, or maybe you’ll just keep them for yourself … no judging.
2 3/4 gluten-free flour
1/2 cup organic sugar
3/4 teaspoon Muskoka Pantry Elsalvador Sea Salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
8 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 flax eggs
up to approximately 2/3 cup oat milk
2 teaspoons Madagascar vanilla
* Read my tips below
In a large mixing bowl blend flour, sugar, salt and baking powder
Add butter and blend until you have little pieces of chunky butter bits the size of a pea
Using a separate bowl add the flax eggs, milk, vanilla and mix well
Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until it sticks together
I add the blueberries once the mixture has come together
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and divide dough in half and add these two portions on to the baking sheet. Shape dough into circles that aren’t too high. They should be less than 1 inch in thickness.
Using a wet knife, slice the dough to form six evenly cut wedges.
Gently pull the wedges away from each other and allow the dough to sit in the freezer for 30 minutes. This allows for maximum rise & a more tender crumb.
Before the 30 minutes of freezing time is up, preheat your oven to 410°F
Bake scones for 20-23 minutes until golden brown. Makes 12 pieces.
Serve warm with jam or butter if you like, otherwise, they are just perfect on their own with a nice cuppa tea or coffee.
* use your favourite gluten-free flour blend for this recipe. I used Bob’s All-Purpose 1 to 1
* use your favourite variety of milk
* you may need a little more or a little less milk depending on the variety of the flour you are using & believe it or not, the weather!
* i like to top my scones with a sprinkling of organic sugar.
* you can “wash” your scones with real eggs, or milk to give you a golden colour to your scone
* for fancy scones add chopped chocolate-covered blueberries or cherries